Pages

Friday, December 31, 2010

Discussion Eleven: The Bean Nighe

The Bean Nighe, also known as "washer woman at the Ford," is found in Celtic legend. These banshee-like spirits are the ghosts of women who died in childbirth, and are doomed to wash blood stained clothing in a quiet and hidden stream, until the day they normally would have died. If you happen upon a washer woman, this may or may not be a good thing. Although most accounts of the legend say the Bean Nighe appears as a hideous hag (some say she actually appears as a beautiful woman. Depends on who you ask, I guess), she supposedly has the power to grant wishes if you claim to be her child. She is also able to tell you the names of those about to die. But beware; some legends claim this mournful spirit is a harbinger of death to those she meets. Personally, I like the wish-granting version better ;) .

For more info on this mysterious washer woman, see here:
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/scotland/folklore/the-bean-nighe.html

Discussion questions:
Do you believe in the Bean Nighe? What would you do if you saw one? Would you ask her to grant you a wish, or would you run screaming? What would you wish for?

Happy haunting,
Frankie

3 comments:

  1. If I saw her I would ask her to grant a wish, but I'm not sure what I would wish for. I believe more the version that she is a hideous hag, mostly because on "Merlin" that is what they look like. And I like visuals, lol. I totally would not want to know who is going to die. That would just be depressing.

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would be kind of creeped out if I saw one, but I would totally ask for a wish. I would ask for a tree house. Or maybe a lifetime supply of ice cream ;).

    What would everyone else ask for?

    -Frankie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure what I would do if I saw one .. I hope I would be brave enough to go to her for wishes .. but I might run screaming .. i am not as brave as my sisters ..

    Marsali

    ReplyDelete