Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

Discussion Fifteen: Dragons

Hi, everyone, my name is Kit. I'm Emily's younger sister. She and Frankie are letting me to the discussion this week because I'm pretty much an expert on dragons.

Not everyone knows that there are different species of dragons. These can be divided mostly into two categories: Western and Eastern. I'll talk about Western dragons first. This group includes the most common dragon, the European. This is what is depicted in most artwork and TV shows. The dragon in Merlin is this. These dragons live in a mountain or sea cave and can grow up to 45 feet long and 17 feet high. Their favorite food is cattle and sheep, but they will also eat humans if no other food source is around. They try to avoid this, though, because humans have a bitter flavor.

The Gargouille is another fairly common dragon. You might be more familiar with a gargoyle, which this dragon is named after. The Gargouille is very good at camouflaging itself, perching itself on top of old buildings much the same a gargoyle does. They eat rats, bats, and cats.

Eastern dragons are a little different in appearance. You can think of these as the dragons depicted in Chinese artwork and legends: long bodied. If Frankie and Emily let me do another discussion I will talk more on these guys. Right now I want to cover a unique dragon.

The Basilisk is pretty well known thanks to Harry Potter, but did you know it is a dragon? These dragons are very deadly; there is not cure for it's deadly bite. There is some debate on whether seeing a Basilisk face to face will kill you. Some say having a mirror with you protects you from being attacked by the Basilisk as it will attack it's mirror image instead of you. It is logical to say then, that if you don't have a mirror you will get killed because the Basilisk will attack you. But you'll die from the poison not seeing it.

Questions: Have you ever seen a dragon? If you live in Europe your chances are higher as there is only one breed found in the US. How do you think the Basilisk kills?

--Kit--

Most of  my information came from: The Dragonology Handbook: A Practical Course in Dragons written by Ernest Drake.

5 comments:

  1. I'm afraid of ghosts, I think they are real ever since the incadent. I'm not afraid of dragons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE dragons around here .. specially Jayd she is our dragon/Lizzard/Iguana loving girl .. LOL!!

    Thanks for posting about dragons Kit hope to hear more from you too .. it is so much fun to read all these ghosty things .. but we love dragons ..

    Kelsyee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenna- I have not seen any dragons, but I bet if I ever get to go overseas, I will. It just seems like chances are way better there. I think the basilisk is just plain nasty, no matter how it kills you. But I'm guessing biting. That's just my opinion...

    Jess- I haven't seen one either, but it would be awesome--from a distance! I'd like to see one of those King Arthur-ish dragons like knights were always questing off to kill to save princesses and stuff. I read a really cool book once about a princess who ran off to live with a dragon because all the princes who came to court her were totally lame-o. But they kept trying to save her from the dragon even though she wanted to stay with it. Wish I could remember the name of the series--I'll write it in later if I can find my book. Anyway, I wouldn't even want to see a basilisk just in case it's just seeing it that kills you. That story had to come from somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dragons sound interesting, but kind of scary. I believe in them, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think dragons are totally the most cool animal in the world. It's great to find others who like them too! Hopefully Em and Frank will let me post more about dragons another time.

    --Kit--

    ReplyDelete